Monday, December 7, 2009

New beginnings

What's been going on with the Borcherdings? Well...on Thanksgiving day, after two years of trying, we finally got a positive pregnancy test! Yippee!! Congrats from all the family ensued...

According to my dates, I would have been about 10 wks pregnant, so obviously my Dr. squeezed me in for the first available appt. that next Monday, Nov. 30. I went to the Dr. and the exam was fine, she said I was a little small for my dates, so they did a sonogram. The sonogram only revealed that my uterus was "getting ready for a pregnancy," but there was no sac in the uterus. They also couldn't find one in the tubes or anywhere else. Needless to say, after Monday I was more than a little nervous.

My blood work came back and my HCG level was 210, which for a 10 wk pregancy, is way too low. I went back 48 hrs later. The HCG level should have doubled, it was 274. 48 hrs later, another blood test. HCG = 330. The numbers were going up, but not enough for a normal pregnancy. The Dr. was worried that it was an ectopic pregnancy or that I was starting to miscarry, although my # wouldn't be going up if I were miscarrying. In the meantime, my Dr. told me that if I had any heavy bleeding, to go straight to the ER. I wasn't very encouraged by that statement. So we had an inpatient weekend while we waited until Monday for another sonogram.

Today, Jeff and I went to the Dr. again to do another sonogram. We went in and waited an eternity, although it was prob. only 20 minutes :) for the Doc. She took us into the sono room and had me get changed. She was looking for an ectopic pregnancy (an implantation in my tubes as opposed to my uterus). They started the sonogram and immediately I knew this time was different. I saw my uterus and a tiny black dot to one side...that tiny black dot, as confirmed by the Dr., was a gestational sac! Measuring at 4-5 wks, the baby is still too small to see on ultrasound, but it is there! Dr. thinks everything looks good and on track at 4-5 wks! They drew more blood, to test HCG, progesterone, and thyroid levels and I'm going back on Tuesday (Dec.15) morning for another sonogram. This time we will hopefully be able to see the fetal pole. Then maybe I can finally get a due date!

Everyone who has know about this stuff this week has been praying constantly and for that I am SO thankful! God is so good and faithful!! Praise Jesus!

No comments: