Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Remembering the Miracle of Birth

A very good friend of mine had her first child this morning at 4:30-ish in Austin. The baby weighed a little bit over 8 pounds and has a full head of black hair! Hearing about baby Taylor's birth, only reminds me of Abbie's birth 3 and a half years ago today. August 6, 2003: We went in to the hospital at 10am scheduled for an induction and by 10 pm we had a beautiful 7 lbs 12 oz baby girl!

Birth is such a miraculous thing! For 9 months, we carry this precious cargo, not really thinking of motherhood and everything that goes with it (the explodo-diapers on the pew at church, the spit up that will never come out of you new silk blouse, the temper tantrums in the middle of the cereal aisle at Walmart) I couldn't even imagine the love that I would have for this child, I couldn't imagine how much awe I would be in until the moment of her birth. The nurse laid her on my chest, moments after she was born, and I was hooked. Abbie looked up at me with those beautiful green-brown eyes and grasped my thumb with her tiny, tiny hand. It was almost as if she was telling me, "I trust you, I love you, and I will be yours forever!"

That was the moment when I knew, no matter what life gives us, I can do anything for this child.

I wish Blake and Elicia all the love and blessings that can rest upon them and their new baby, Taylor! You are going to LOVE those explodo-diapers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Alissa,

I had not seen this entire site you have been writing on. I was so touched by your beautiful sentiments and expressions of how God has touched your life through your trials and brought you closer to him.

I was also touched by the depth of your emotions you shared about motherhood. I am so glad you are writing down special memories you all are creating as a family. You will one day look back and read them with joy. Please forgive me for not getting back with you about my address. I will send it to you tonight. I just had not been on the computer for awhile.

I love you all and am proud of you. Tell Jeff how I feel too please. I pray for all of you each time I pray. May God guide you in learning and growing in His service. May God teach us all to love and forgive.

Granny